National Examination Board (NEB) Class 11 model question paper of compulsory English based on the new curriculum. Please read or download a pdf copy of the Grade XI Compulsory English model Questions paper as follows.
GRADE XI English (Sub. Code:0031) Model questions: candidates are required to give their answers in their own words as far as practicable. The figures in the margin indicate full marks.
Full Marks: 75
Time: 3 hours
1. Read the text and do the tasks. 15
Mt Everest grows by nearly a metre to new height:
The world's highest mountain Mount Everest is 0.86m higher than had been previously officially calculated, Nepal and China have jointly announced. Until now the countries differed over whether to add the snow cap on top. The new height is 8,848.86m (29,032 ft). China's previous official measurement of 8,844.43m had put the mountain nearly four meters lower than Nepal's. Everest Officials at Nepal's foreign ministry and department of the survey said surveyors from both countries had coordinated to agree on the new height. The agreement to jointly announce the new measurement of the Earth's highest point was made during Chinese President Xi Jinping's visit to the Nepalese capital, Kathmandu last year.
Chinese authorities had said previously Mount Everest should be measured to its rock height, while Nepalese authorities argued the snow on top of the summit should be included. The Chinese surveyors had calculated their figure after they measured the mountain in 2005. Nepal's government officials told the BBC in 2012 that they were under pressure from China to accept the Chinese height and therefore they had decided to go for a fresh measurement to "set the record straight once and for all". The 8,848m height, Nepal had been using for Mount Everest was determined by the Survey of India in 1954, but for the first time, the country has now conducted its own measurement of the summit. Four Nepalese land surveyors spent two years training for the mission, before heading to the summit. "Before this, we had never done the measurement ourselves," Damodar Dhakal, a spokesman at Nepal's department of the survey, told the BBC. "Now that we have a young, technical team [who could also go to the Everest summit], we could do it on our own," Mr. Dhakal said. Nepal's lead surveyor Khimlal Gautam lost his toe due to frostbite while on the summit to install height-measuring equipment last year. "For summiteers, scaling the highest peak means a great accomplishment. For us, it was just the beginning," Mr. Gautam had told BBC Nepali after his return. "Unlike other surveys of the Everest in the past, we chose 03:00 to minimise errors that could have been caused because of sunlight in the daytime."
Some geologists have suggested a major earthquake in 2015 may have had an impact on Mount Everest's height. The 7.8 magnitude earthquake killed nearly 9,000 people in Nepal and caused an avalanche which buried parts of the base camp at the mountain. At least 18 limbers were killed. Some geologists said the earthquake may have caused Everest's snow cap to shrink. Scientists had found that some other Himalayan peaks such as Langtang Himal, mostly to the north of Kathmandu and close to the epicentre, had reduced in height by approximately a metre after the earthquake. Others have argued that Mount Everest, like other Himalayan peaks, may have actually grown over time because of the shifting tectonic plates it sits on. But experts say major earthquakes can result in that process being reversed. "The 2015 earthquake is also a major reason why we re-measured the mountain," said Mr. Dhakal.
A. Choose the best answer. (5X1=5)
a. The word 'announce' in the 7" line means:
- utter words to convey information.
- make a formal statement about a fact.
- communicate information to someone.
b. The word 'fresh' in the phrase 'fresh measurement' in the second paragraph means:
- having its original qualities unimpaired.
- not frozen, tinned or otherwise preserved.
- not previously done, new or different.
c. The word 'accomplishment' in the 22" line means:
- the omission of expected action.
- an act or instance of falling.
- something that has been achieved successfully.
d. The word 'shrink' in the 29" line is opposite in meaning to:
e. The word ‘approximately’ in line 30 line means:
Complete the following sentences in NOT MORE THAN FOUR WORDS. (5x1=5)
a. Nepal and China previously had different views about adding the .......... to the height of Mt. Everest.
b. Surveyors from both Nepal and China had worked together to come up with the same View On the .......................... of Mt. Everest.
c. China's earlier official measurement of 8844.43m was based on the measurement done in ………………….
d. The team leader of Nepal's surveyors lost his toe during the installment of ……………………. on the top.
e. Some geologists also had their view that the change in ....... under Mt. Everest may have increased its height.
Answer the following questions. (5x1=5)
- What did the surveyors from both Nepal and China agree on to come up with about Mt. Everest?
- Why did both countries determine to carry out the new measurement of Mt. Everest?
- Which sentence in the text indicates that it was the first time for Nepal to measure the height of Mt. Everest?
- Why did the Nepali team take 3:00 as a reference in measuring the summit?
- What covered the parts of the base camp in the mountains during the 2015 earthquake?
Write short answers to the following questions. (5x2=10
- Why is the speaker saying that 'the children are the most beautiful flowers of all'?
(The Selfish Giant)
- What were the circumstances that led to Aksionov's imprisonment?
(God Sees the Truth)
- What is the speaker's attitude toward war?
(The Gift in War Time)
- What do you think is the main idea of the essay "What is Poverty?'? Is the main idea of the essay explicit or implicit?
- Why are Don Gonzalo and Laura annoyed with each other?
(A Sunny Morning)
3. Write long answers to the following questions. (2x5=10)
- Jobs contends that you need to love what you do in order to be great at it. Do you agree or disagree? Why? (How to Live Before You Die)
- Write the summary of the poem 'All the World's a Stage’.
4. The following bar graph shows the total cases of COVID-19 infection in Nepal from 2020-01-01 to 2021-01-20. Write an interpretation of it in about 150 words.
5. Suppose you are the coordinator of the organizing committee for the 'Sports Week' at your school. Write an email inviting the other members of the committee for its first meeting. - 8
6. Is the use of smartphones useful for the students of secondary level? Write an essay discussing the advantages and disadvantages of smartphones in about 300 words. - 10
7. Do as indicated in brackets and rewrite the sentences. (10x1=10)
- The good boy behaved well. (Underline the adverb in the sentence)
- Many of the houses in this neighborhood (don't/doesdon't) have garages. (Choose one form from the bracket to complete the sentence)
- We insist ..................... punctuality in this office. (Put the correct preposition in the blank)
- It ............... be Anton's car. I saw him driving the car yesterday. (Put the correct modal in the blank to complete the sentence)
- She ................. (write) three books and she is working on another one. (Put the verb from the bracket incorrect tense to make a meaningful sentence)
- I need to stop (doing/to do) my homework late at night. I keep making terrible mistakes. (Choose one form from the bracket to complete the sentence)
- The minister stood still ............. the request to take her seat. (Put the correct conjunction in the blank to complete the sentence)
- Marie Curie is the woman. She discovered radium. (Join the sentences with a relative pronoun)
- She said, "Would you like me to help you?" (Use the reporting verb offer to change the sentence into indirect speech)
- hate people laughing at me. (Change into passive)
Do as instructed. (5x1=5)
- The art of producing beautiful writing with a special pen or brush is called calligraphy. What word class does the underlined word in the sentence belong to?
- Arrange the following words as per the order in a dictionary: chanting, chopper, chirruping, chivalry, chancellor
- What does the sentence 'He burnt his fingers by interfering in his neighbour's affair' mean?
- He got himself into trouble.
- He burnt himself?
- He got himself insulted.
- He got rebuked.
d. What does the prefix 'under-' in the word UNDERESTIMATE mean?
e. Which of the following sentences is correct?
- Kelsey said I want to go to Aunt Joy's for Thanksgiving.
- Kelsey said, "i want to go to Aunt Joys for Thanksgiving."
- Kelsey said, "I want to go to Aunt Joy's for Thanksgiving."
- Kelsey said "I want to go to Aunt Joys for Thanksgiving."
Source: Curriculum Development Centre, Sanothimi, Bhaktapur