Secondary Education (Class 9 and 10) Curriculum 2078 in Nepal: Introduction and Structure ( Curriculum development, modification, and updating is an ongoing process. National Curriculum Draft, 2076, based on changing contexts, research reports, suggestions, and feedback from various stakeholders including teachers, professors, students, intellectuals, suggestions from various organizations and professions, information and communication media, and positive suggestions from civil society to make the curriculum relevant and inclusive. Ready and approved by the Government of Nepal.
The school-level curriculum structure and guiding principles of curriculum development, expansion and creation of knowledge, increased competition in the service sector, and changes in the political, social, and economic spheres have pointed out the need for curriculum revision.
There is a view that school education in Nepal should be developed as a means to help build capable and competitive citizens for building a prosperous nation based on social justice. Based on the mentioned context and approach of school education, curriculum structure for classes 9 and 10 and thematic curricula according to that structure have been developed.
School education is divided into two levels, basic and secondary. Secondary education should develop in students the ability to seek knowledge and establish a connection between learning and real-life, coordinate theory and practice, and update knowledge, skills, and abilities through self-reflection. This level of education should help prepare citizens to promote rights, freedoms, and equality, to be aware of their duties, to practice a healthy lifestyle, to make decisions based on logical analysis, and to contribute to the sustainable development of individuals, societies, and nations.
Students are expected to develop the ability to demonstrate ethical conduct, be sensitive to social harmony, be sensitive to environmental balance, be committed to sustainable peace by managing conflicts, use modern knowledge, skills, information, and communication technology, and practice self-reliance and business-oriented skills.
Similarly, self-reliant, patriotic, change-oriented, characterized by respecting the nation, nationality, and national ideals, adopting society-acceptable conduct and work culture, tolerance, creative, imaginative, entrepreneurial and high thinking and idealistic behavior, successful management of contemporary challenges. The policy of this level of education is to prepare capable citizens who can contribute to building a thoughtful and inclusive society.
To this end, the National Curriculum Development and Evaluation Council finalized and restructured the curriculum structure for grades 9 and 10 and tested it in designated schools for various subjects of secondary level (grades 9 and 10) based on the National Curriculum Draft, 2076 approved by the Government of Nepal. This course has been developed with the support of the test.
In the first section of this syllabus, the introduction and structure of secondary education (class 9 and 10) syllabus 2076 has been included. This includes the national objective of education, stratification, and overall structure of the curriculum. A compulsory subject curriculum is included in the second section.
It has also guided the aspects of thematic learning achievement, content, methods and techniques required for teaching and learning and evaluation. This curriculum has been developed in order to standardize the curriculum and to maintain the level of consistency between the previous and later level curriculum.
National objectives of education
The national objectives of school education will be as follows:
- To develop personality by cultivating inherent talent in each person
- Loyal to the nation and nationality, committed to the values of the Federal Democratic Republic, self-respecting, respecting social and cultural diversity, preparing character, moral and responsible citizens.
- To prepare employment and self-employment oriented, productive, enterprising and skilled citizens with respect for labor and positive thinking.
- Contribute to the strengthening of social harmony and tolerance and national unity by assisting in the socialization of the individual.
- To prepare conscious citizens to contribute to sustainable development by conserving, promoting and utilizing natural and national heritage and environment
- To help build an egalitarian, inclusive, just, and socialist nation by developing the values of peace, human rights, equality, inclusion, and social justice in every individual.
- To create world-class skilled manpower who can compete at national and international levels and use modern information and communication technology.
- To develop scientifically savvy and research-oriented manpower who can use scientific concepts, facts, skills, principles, and technology.
- Creating creative and critical thinking, tolerant and language-savvy citizens with vital skills
- To prepare citizens who are proud of Nepali history and geography, who are proud of Nepali identity and lifestyle, who are motivated towards the preservation, promotion, and expansion of Nepali original art, culture, beauty, ideals and features.
- Wise. To prepare citizens capable of mitigating potential risks and managing disasters while being aware of climate change and natural and man-made disasters.
- To develop necessary human resources for building a prosperous nation based on social justice