The government has allocated Rs. 2.46 billion for the Ministry of Youth and Sports for the Fiscal Year 2079/80. In the budget presented by Finance Minister Janardan Sharma in the Federal Parliament on Sunday, the budget allocated for the Ministry of Youth and Sports is 280 million less than the previous year.
The government has allocated Rs. 870 million for the construction of sports infrastructure. Similarly, Finance Minister Sharma has allocated a budget of Rs. 290 million for the National Sports Council (NSC), the executive body of Nepali sports. It is mentioned in the budget that the necessary budget has been allocated to complete the construction work of Mulpani Cricket Ground, which has been under construction for two decades, within the next year.
Similarly, the budget will make the Tribhuvan Cricket Ground in Kirtipur operational for night games, construction of a local level sports village, construction and implementation of a 20-year master plan for long term development of sports, construction of a women's cricket academy at Kohalpur in Banke, construction of Phapla International Sports Ground and Khelgram in Dhangadhi. It is mentioned that necessary physical infrastructure will be constructed for organizing the national sports competition.
The budget also includes incentives to build and operate adventure and mountain sports infrastructure in a public-private partnership for the promotion of sports tourism, the establishment of high altitude sports centers at Koplapatan and other places in Jumla, and enhancing the capacity of athletes and coaches. It has also been mentioned that a state-of-the-art recreation center will be set up at Matiani, Kathar of Chitwan, and Madhyabindu of East Nawarparasi in collaboration with the local level and private sector.
Budget for the Fiscal Year 2079/80: Youth and Sports
- In order to attract the youth to productive enterprises, the arrangement has been made to provide concessional transfer on the security of enterprise proposal under the youth start-up program on the basis of training and educational certificates.
- In order to utilize the productive potential of the youth as a demographic benefit of the country, programs will be implemented to make additional 12,000 youths self-employed through the Youth and Small Business Self-Employment Fund. The credit program with technical and vocational skills has been continued. In collaboration with the local level, banks, and financial institutions, high-level training will be provided to 10,000 youth through Business Incubation Center.
- As Myadi Prahari, high empowerment and self-employment-focused programs will be conducted targeting the youth involved in national service. By providing training on their interests, opportunities will be provided to be involved in Kripi, forestry, and other higher. Necessary arrangements will be made to use Myadi Prahari as an accumulated security force.
- For the promotion of sports tourism, construction and operation of adventure and mountain sports infrastructure in public-private partnership will be encouraged. Necessary funds have been allocated for the establishment of the High Altitude Sports and Training Center in Topla Patan and other places in the Jumla district.
- The construction work of the International Cricket Stadium under construction in Mulpani of Kathmandu will be completed in the coming Fiscal Year. Necessary funds have been allocated to upgrade the Kirtipur International Cricket Stadium so that night games can be played. Arrangements will be made to complete the unfinished construction work of the Gautam Buddha Cricket Stadium under construction in Chitwan in collaboration with the state and local levels. I have allocated the necessary amount for the Ninth National Sports Project. Necessary infrastructure will be prepared for the 10th National Games.
- A local level: have given continuity to a Khelgram program. A necessary budget has been allocated for the construction of a women's cricket academy and stadium in Kohalpur, Banke. A cricket stadium and a sports village according to international standards will be constructed in Phapla of Dhangadhi. Rs. 870 million has been allocated.
- A 20-year master plan for sports development will be prepared and implemented. The private sector will be encouraged to open sports universities. A conducive environment will be created for foreign clubs to organize franchise leagues in Nepal.
- The role of sports associations in organizing sports competitions will be made effective by enhancing the institutional capacity of sports associations. Programs will be conducted for the capacity building of players and coaches. Programs to encourage players have been continued. Arrangements will be made to insure players and coaches participate in international and national competitions. Grants given to sports associations have been increased. I have allocated Rs. 2 billion 9 crores has been allocated.
- Arrangements will be made to manage a lifelong monthly stipend for the medal-winning athletes in the Asian and Olympic Games.
- For the Ministry of Youth and Sports, Rs. 2 billion 460 million has been allocated.