Save the Children is the leading independent organization for children. We save children’s lives; we fight for their rights; we help them fulfil their potential. We work together, with our partners from civil societies and government, to inspire breakthroughs in the way the world treats children and to achieve immediate and lasting change in their lives. We reached approximately two million populations and invests over 40 million US dollars annually to reach more children than ever before, through programs in Health, Nutrition, Education, Protection and Child Rights and Governance, Livelihood, HIV and AIDS, and Humanitarian crises.
The Entomologist takes lead role to control malaria transmission in assigned province. S/he will provide technical assistance to the GFATM Malaria Component, especially in leading the entomological surveillance, designing, conducting and supervising entomological activities in all project sites, carrying out foci investigations, conducting special entomological experiments, laboratory processing of mosquitoes, and management and analysis of entomological data and developing scientific reports. S/he will support in malaria case based investigations and epidemiological surveillance. S/he will additionally support to enhance the technical capacity of local health worker and enabling system of province and palika towards malaria elimination.
KEY AREAS OF ACCOUNTABILITY:
Entomological surveillance to reduce malaria transmission and foci elimination
- Undertake entomological activities during regular surveys ensuring high quality standards.
- Process mosquitoes in the laboratory using molecular, biochemical and other modern techniques for species identification, infection rate determination, blood meal identification and others as required.
- Support on stratifying the malaria foci in the province and provide support to other provice in need.
- Take lead on strengthening, expansion and institutionalization of integrated vector surveillance system
- Monitor the vector density and conduct vector surveys as well as susceptibility and bioassay tests.
- Monitor the IRS activities at the national, district and below level to ensure the quality of IRS.
- Monitor the LLINs effectiveness and coverage of the population.
Update, develop protocols and guidelines
- Support overall planning and development of the project protocols in relation to entomological surveillance and studies, and participate in developing appropriate epidemiological design.
- Support in developing standard operating procedures, data collection tools and databases for the entomological component of the project.
Enhance quality of service, build capacity of Health worker & enhance system of palika and province
- Support in developing and implementing Integrated Vector Management (IVM) policy/strategy as well as LLINs distribution/ IRS policy and guidelines.
- Support to strengthen and regularizes IRS monitoring & evaluation system.
- Support and provide feedback to overall implementation of entomological survey and ensure the overall quality of survey
- Support to enhance Province and palika government to minimize malaria transmission.
- Provide technical assistance to entomologists and support in their capacity building.
- Provide technical assistance to vector control officers/inspectors on mosquito collection, identification, and preservation and storage techniques.
Support on Research and Study
- Support in developing protocol for entomological studies.
- Carry out analyses of entomological data in relation to other epidemiological data and develop scientific reports and publications
- Carry out special entomological experiments in some or all of GFATM project sites as and when required.
- Support in strengthening the capacity of Provincial Public Health Laboratory (PPHL) and vector borne disease research and training centre (VBDRTC) in entomological related activities.
- Coordinate with VBDRTC and bring the insectaries in regular operation and entomological research.
Support on Malaria Epidemiological Surveillance
- Support in case based investigation and other epidemiological surveillance related activities.
Enhance Supply Management
- Develop list of equipment and supplies required for the entomological component of the study and prepares documents for purchase requisition.
- Ensure quality storage, transport and handling of insecticide.
Recording, Reporting and documentation
- Prepares regular progress reports on entomological activities and support to develop malaria transmission elimination plan in province and in palika.
- Ensure timely & correct reporting of logistic and case reporting in MDIS, eLMIS and iHMIS reporting.
Qualifications and Experience
- Bachelors in Zoology or bachelor’s in public health or Bachelor in environment science preferably in the areas of entomology, vector borne disease epidemiology
- 3 years of Professional experience in health-related field preferably in the areas of entomology, vector borne disease epidemiology.
Required No.(s): 1(Nepali Citizens only)
Contract length: Fixed Term
Location: Based in in Janakpur, Eastern Field Office (EFO)
We employ approximately 25,000 people across the globe and work on the ground in over 100 countries to help children affected by crises, or those that need better healthcare, education and child protection. We also campaign and advocate at the highest levels to realise the right of children and to ensure their voices are heard.
We are working towards three breakthroughs in how the world treats children by 2030:
- No child dies from preventable causes before their 5th birthday
- All children learn from a quality basic education and that,
- Violence against children is no longer tolerated
We know that great people make a great organization, and that our employees play a crucial role in helping us achieve our ambitions for children. We value our people and offer a meaningful and rewarding career, along with a collaborative and inclusive workplace where ambition, creativity, and integrity are highly valued.
Please apply using a cover letter and up-to-date CV as a single document. Please also include details of your current remuneration and salary expectations. We need to keep children safe so our selection process, which includes rigorous background checks, reflects our commitment to the protection of children from abuse.
All employees are expected to carry out their duties in accordance with our global anti-harassment policy.
Save the Children does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process.
Closing Date : Jan 29, 2022