Pokhara University Faculty of Humanities and Social Sciences Announces Admission Open for Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) in Development Studies
Applications are invited from eligible candidates for admission into the Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) in Development Studies programme for 2022 session offered by the Faculty of Humanities and Social Sciences, Pokhara University, Nepal. The PhD programme aims to produce expert and specialized high-level human resources for teaching, research and professional expert services. The programme seeks candidates with strong academic background, who are highly motivated and have curiosity and desire for intellectual excellence.
About the Programme:
The programme comprises of 24 credits of extensive coursework (Philosophy, Research Methodology, Academic Writing and Seminar Skills, Core Courses, Elective Courses, Independent Study) structured in two semesters. After successfully completing the coursework, the scholar can opt for either 9 credits dissertation and pursue MPhil degree or 36 credits dissertation for PhD degree. The normal duration of the PhD programme is 3 years with a total of 60 credits.
A master degree in any field from Pokhara University or any other recognized university along with the following specific qualifications:
- Two years working experience for those who have passed Master Level with 3.00/4.00 CGPA or high Second Division (55%);
- One year of working experience for those who have passed Master Level with 3.30/4.00 CGPA or First Division;
- There will be no requirement of working experience for those who have passed Master Level with 3.75/4.00 CGPA or Distinction Division.
- A student must secure a minimum CGPA of 3.3 in the coursework and must have successfully defended PhD proposal for registration to Ph.D.
- If a student is unable to complete the doctoral proposal within the given duration or cannot secure a minimum CGPA 3.3 in the coursework, the completed credits of course work can be transferred to MPhil degree. The student can register for 9 credit dissertation and pursue an MPhil degree.
Admission Process: Admission to the PhD in Development Studies programme will be on merit basis based on total score (200) obtained from:
- Entrance test (100): The entrance test will be based on MCQ comprising of modules -Quantitative ability (20), Logical reasoning (20), English proficiency (20), Conceptual knowledge of Development Studies (20), and Research aptitude (20)
- Interview (30)
- Statement of purpose (5) and Research synopsis (10)
- Academic achievement (40)
- Research publication (10) and work experience (5)
- Last Date for application form submission: 11 Sept 2022
- Entrance Examination: 12 Sept 2022 (8:00AM — 11:00AM), Venue: Academic Complex, Pokhara University
- Personal Interview: 12 Sept 2022 (1:00 PM onwards), Venue: Academic Complex, Pokhara University
- Publication of Final Result: 13 Sept 2022
- Period of Admission: 14-20 Sept 2022
- Programme Orientation: 21 Sept 2022
- Class Start: 22 Sept 2022
Documents to be Submitted:
- Duly completed application form and bank voucher of Rs. 5,000.
- Bank: Kamana Sewa Bikas Bank Ltd. Account Name: Faculty of Humanities and Social Sciences, Pokhara University Account No: 01700300211470000001
- Self-attested copies of academic certificates (marksheets/transcripts, character certificates).
- Statement of Purpose (SOP) of not more than one page focusing on motivation for Ph.D. study and career objective, Research synopsis within 2,000 to 3,000 words (in prescribed format).
- Curriculum Vitae (CV), Letters of recommendation from two referees, No objection letter from current employer.
Number of Seats: The number of seats for the Ph.D. programme is 10 seats.
Note: Application form, information brochure, check-list for document submission, and formats for a statement of purpose, research synopsis, portfolio of work experience, recommendation letters, and no objection certificate can be downloaded from https://pu.edu.np/academics/faculties/fhss/ or obtained from the Office of the Dean, Faculty of Humanities and Social Sciences, Pokhara University.
For further details:
Office of the Dean
Faculty of Humanities and Social Sciences, Pokhara University
Pokhara -30, Kaski, Nepal,
Email: [email protected]
Member Secretary, Faculty Doctoral Committee (9856021122)
Admission Staff (061-504078)
(Date of Application Announcement: 11 August 2022)PhD Admission Open Pokhara University