Agriculture and Forestry University (AFU) was established in Rampur, Chitwan, Nepal in 2010 and is the first technical university in the country. The university aims at producing highly skilled human resources required to work on quality research and development in agriculture. It aims at the all round development of agriculture, livestock, aquaculture, and forestry which would raise the socio-economic conditions of rural people through quality teaching, research, and extension. The mission of Agriculture and Forestry University is to produce competent manpower to promote education, research, and development in agriculture, veterinary, fisheries, forestry, and allied disciplines.
This university was founded by merging Rampur Campus, Institute of Agriculture and Animal Science (IAAS), and Forestry Campus, Hetauda of the Institute of Forestry of the Tribhuvan University of Nepal. In addition to the existing academic programs, the university started 4 years B.Sc. Fisheries, M.Sc. in Biotechnology, M.Sc. in Weed Science, M.Sc. Seed technology, M.Sc. Agribusiness Management and Ph.D. programs in Developmental Studies.
AFU started the College of Natural Resource Management, a constituent college at Purunchaur Kaski, Pokhara in 2016. In the academic year, 2017/18 AFU established the College of Natural Resource Management, Marin Kapilakot, Sindhuli. In addition, 9 other constituent colleges are in pipeline for the establishment of B.Sc. Agriculture and B.Sc. Forestry program. AFU has planned to establish B.Sc. Agri. Engineering, B.Sc. Horticulture and Master in Dairy Technology in the near future.
AFU has already established Agriculture Science Center (ASC) in Palung in 2016 and is in the process of establishing 3 other ASC at Kalikot, Gorkha, and Dhading. These centers will demonstrate the new technologies to the farmers and act as the platform for training and research activities. LEE (Learning Experiential Exposure) program started in B.Sc. Ag. and B.Sc. Forestry from this year in the last Semester. Prime Minister Agricultural Modernization Project (PMAMP) of the Ministry of Agriculture Development is supporting this program by sending the students to Zones and Super-zones. In addition, AFU is conducting Animal Health Camp, Plant clinics, and IPM schools in the farmer's field. AFU has also installed a Seed processing plant and is producing quality seeds for the farmers.
The university has 107 faculty members and 255 support staffs at this moment. The current student strength consists of 1883 including 1471 undergraduate students, 367 M.Sc. students, and 45 Ph.D. scholars in different disciplines. Nearly 35 % of students are girl students.
The faculty members of the university are involved in different research and developmental activities with the support of national and international institutions and agencies. They focus their research works on increasing production and productivity of agricultural commodities, post-harvest technology, improving self-life of food products, biodiversity conservation, and local innovation adopting participatory approaches to enhance sustainable livelihood systems of farming communities. The postgraduate students are contributing thesis research to generate knowledge and technologies to address the issues of agriculture, livestock, and forestry in the nation.
A huge attraction is there to study Agriculture in Nepal. Improving society’s awareness of the role of agriculture in our daily lives can greatly improve the image of the sector in general and therefore the amount of students choosing this particular field of study is increasing every year.
At present, the various classrooms, farm buildings, laboratories, student dormitories, and residential buildings need renovations. The university needs more support both national and international for human resources and infrastructure development. Since it is a new university, the faculty and students also need to get more exposure to learn how great universities work and become more meaningful to their societies. Faculty and student exchange would benefit both parties in the long run.
- Faculty of Agriculture (FOA)
- Faculty of Animal Science, Veterinary Science, and Fisheries (FAVF)
- Faculty of Forestry (FOF)
Departments of Faculty of Animal Science, Veterinary Science, and Fisheries (FAVF):
- Livestock Production and Management
- Animal Nutrition and Fodder Production
- Aquatic Resource Management
- Veterinary Medicine and Public Health
- Veterinary Microbiology and Parasitology
- Veterinary Surgery and Pharmacology
- Veterinary Theriogenology
- Veterinary Anatomy, Physiology & Biochemistry
- Animal Breeding and Biotechnology
- Veterinary Pathology and Clinics
College and Departments of Faculty of Agriculture (FOA):
- College of Natural Resource Management, Puranchaur, Kaski
- College of Natural Resource Management, Tikapur, Kailali
- College of Natural Resource Management - Marin, Kapilakot, Sindhuli
- College of Natural Resource Management, Pakhribas, Dhankuta
- College of Natural Resource Management, Bardibas, Mahottari
- College of Natural Resource Management, Khajura, Banke
- College of Natural Resource Management, Madichaur, Rolpa
- College of Natural Resource Management, Dullu, Dailekh
- Department of Agribotany and Conservation Ecology
- Department of Agricultural Economics and Agribusiness Management
- Department of Agricultural Extension and Rural Sociology
- Department of Agronomy
- Department of Entomology
- Department of Genetics and Plant Breeding
- Department of Horticulture
- Department of Plant Pathology
- Department of Soil Science and Agricultural Engineering
- Department of Rural Sociology and Development Studies
- Center for Biotechnology
Departments of Faculty of Forestry (FOF):
- Department of Basic Science and Humanities
- Department of Ecology and Environmental Science
- Department of Forest Products Utilization
- Department of Forest Survey and Engineering
- Department of Natural Resource Management
- Department of Silviculture and Forest Biology
- Department of Soil and Watershed Management
- Department of Wildlife and Protected Reserve
Agriculture and Forestry University (AFU)
Rampur, Chitwan, Nepal
Phone: +977-56-591655, +977-56-591777, +977-56-56-591514
Email: [email protected]