The Institute of Forestry, Pokhara Campus: Providing Quality Education in Forestry and Natural Resource Management
Established in 1981, the Institute of Forestry, Pokhara Campus (IOF-PC) is a certified institution by the UGC, Nepal, and is committed to providing quality education in forestry and natural resource management to graduate and undergraduate students. The IOF-PC is one of the five technical institutes under Tribhuvan University, Nepal, and was founded as Nepal Forestry Institute in Singh Durbar, Kathmandu, in 1947.
The IOF-PC launched a two-year Technical Certificate in Forestry (TCF) and a three-year Bachelor of Science in Forestry (B.Sc.F) to meet the growing demands for skilled and competent natural resource managers in the country. The latter was later changed to a four-year program in 1995. The IOF-PC started offering Master of Science (M.Sc.) programs in 2004, with courses in Forestry, Watershed Management, Natural Resource Management and Rural Development, and Community Forestry. The IOF-PC also facilitates a Doctoral Program in Forestry.
The IOF-PC has six departments, each directed by a head of department, to run the academic programs of respective courses efficiently and effectively. These departments are the Department of Social Forestry and Forest Management, Department of Forest Products and Engineering, Department of Park Recreation and Wildlife Management, Department of Watershed Management and Environmental Science, Department of Silviculture and Forest Biology, and Department of Basic Science and Humanities.
Mission and Objective
The IOF-PC is committed to providing quality education in forestry and natural resource management to produce competent, efficient, and practically oriented forest and natural resource professionals. The IOF-PC aims to develop itself as a Center of Excellence in forestry education through well-designed educational programs that address the current national and international needs in forestry and allied fields.
Teaching and Research
Teaching and research at IOF-PC preserve and enrich creative traditions through a well-structured educational program in an academic environment conducive to effective teaching, learning, and research. In addition to regular academic programs, IOF-PC also conducts short-term national and international training and workshops in forestry and allied subjects.
IOF-PC Facilities: Enhancing Student Experience and Learning Opportunities
The Institute of Forestry, Pokhara Campus (IOF-PC) is a premier educational institution in Nepal, providing quality education in forestry and allied fields to students. In order to enhance the student experience and provide a conducive learning environment, IOF-PC has a range of facilities available to students.
- Library: IOF-PC has a well-stocked library with a vast collection of books, journals, and other research materials related to forestry, natural resource management, and allied fields. The library is an essential resource for students and faculty, providing them with the necessary tools and resources to conduct research, complete assignments, and stay updated on the latest developments in their field.
- Laboratories: IOF-PC has several well-equipped laboratories, including forest products and engineering, watershed management and environmental science, silviculture and forest biology, and basic science and humanities. These laboratories provide students with hands-on learning experiences and opportunities to conduct research and experiments.
- Cafeteria: IOF-PC has a cafeteria that provides a variety of hygienic and nutritious meals to students and faculty at affordable prices.
- Hostel: IOF-PC has a hostel that provides comfortable accommodation to students who come from different parts of the country. The hostel is equipped with modern amenities, such as Wi-Fi, 24/7 security, and study areas, to ensure that students can focus on their studies.
- Healthcare: IOF-PC has a healthcare center that provides basic medical facilities to students and faculty. The center has trained medical staff who are available 24/7 to attend to any medical emergencies.
- Auditorium and Conference Hall: IOF-PC has a large auditorium and a conference hall that are used for seminars, workshops, and other academic events. These facilities provide students and faculty with opportunities to interact with experts from the industry, share their research findings, and learn about the latest developments in their field.
- Sports Facilities: IOF-PC has a range of sports facilities, including a cricket ground, a football field, a volleyball court, and a basketball court. These facilities are available to students to encourage physical fitness and well-being.
- Forest Products Museum: IOF-PC has a forest products museum that showcases various forestry products, such as wood, paper, and bamboo. The museum provides students with an insight into the various uses of forest products and their importance in the economy.
- Internet: IOF-PC has Wi-Fi connectivity across the campus, providing students with access to the internet for research and other academic purposes.
- Well-equipped GIS/IT Lab: IOF-PC has a well-equipped GIS/IT lab that provides students with the necessary tools and resources to learn about geographic information systems and their applications in forestry and allied fields. The lab is equipped with the latest software and hardware, enabling students to gain hands-on experience in this field.
The aim of the M.Sc. Forestry program is to train skilled personnel who can contribute to the field of forestry on a global scale. The program has the following specific objectives:
- Produce highly competent technical personnel who can serve the government, non-governmental, and private sectors in the field of forestry.
- Produce resourceful managers capable of initiating, planning, and developing forestry-based enterprises, as well as providing consultancy services to organizations.
- Equip students with the knowledge and skills necessary to conduct scientific research and address forestry-related problems.
MSc Watershed Management (WM):
The objective of the M. Sc. WM program is to produce advanced personnel who can lead integrated watershed management with strong technical competency in designing soil and water conservation measures, improving land productivity, and developing natural resources in a sustainable manner. The program's specific objectives are:
- Train skillful technical personnel capable of analyzing, planning, and implementing various approaches to watershed management intervention for climate change adaptation, land productivity, and sustained water supply.
- Provide knowledge and skills for overcoming watershed degradation problems caused by soil and water and for building landscape ecosystems that are more resilient to climate change and potential disasters.
- Train personnel who can design, plan, monitor, and evaluate soil and water conservation measures and conduct scientific research to address problems.
MSc Natural Resource Management and Rural Development (NRMRD):
The objective of the M. Sc. NRMRD program is to produce competent natural resource managers who can handle changing environmental conditions. The program's specific objectives are:
- Provide theoretical and practical understanding of the relationship between conservation and development.
- Build capacity in planning and managing natural resources in conflicting situations.
- Empower students with critical thinking and innovative practices in natural resource management.
MSc Community Forestry (CF):
The objective of the M. Sc. CF program is to produce academics and managers who specialize in community-based forest management.
The program's specific objectives are:
- Produce practically oriented personnel who can provide expert services for community forestry management.
- Advance, disseminate, and academicize community forestry learnings at national, regional, and global levels.
- Provide advanced knowledge and skills for scientific research in community forestry that addresses existing and potential problems and gaps.
In addition to producing highly skilled technical professionals, IOF-PC also aims to produce mid-level human resources who are well-equipped and skilled in natural resource conservation and management. To achieve this goal, the IOF-PC offers a four-year B. Sc. Forestry program that includes courses relevant to various natural resource management disciplines.
The B. Sc. Forestry program is a four-year program that includes seven semesters of coursework and an eighth semester dedicated to research or internship in the student's area of interest and specialization. Each student is assigned an advisor by the IOF-PC to guide their research or internship.
Overall, IOF-PC's facilities are designed to provide students with a rich and fulfilling learning experience. By offering a range of facilities that cater to the diverse needs of students, IOF-PC is committed to providing quality education in forestry and allied fields that prepare students for successful careers in their chosen field.