Kathmandu University School of Management (KUSOM) offers MPhil in Management Programs, a research-based Master degree program. It is an intensive fulltime study program spread over six terms of 14 weeks each term. Students are required to take a minimum of 38 credit hours courses that include core courses, concentrations, and electives along with an independent empirical thesis.
Management knowledge and its application to address opportunities and challenges facing our organizations might as well determine our competitiveness in the present globalized market.
Management research builds and enhances knowledge capital that enriches the practice and profession of management making it possible for individuals and organizations to deliver results in the best possible way. This is how management has contributed to the development of organizations and societies in the developed world.
Research as a critical input for knowledge generation and application is not a widely practiced function in our society. This is more so in management. Intuition more than empirically validated knowledge often dictates management decisions and practices in our organizations.
Similarly, academic side of management is also not nourished and enriched by rigorous research, developing and disseminating valid knowledge robustly applicable to our situations and productively able to show and suggest better ways of managing in our context.
This situation needs to be corrected. One way of doing it is to prepare managerial professionals with high quality research and analytical skills to work in academic, business, government, and nongovernmental organizations. There is also a need for promoting the tradition of research in management for its professionalization and high value addition.
Kathmandu University School of Management (KUSOM) aims to address these needs through its Master of Philosophy (MPhil) in Management program. MPhil in Management is a research degree program that offers a student with substantial grounding in state-of-the-art academic knowledge in management with advanced research skills.
- Enhances competitive edge in conceptual and analytical skills for advanced career in academics or other professions;
- Develops research capability for improving knowledge, practice and profession; and
- Builds a foundation for pursuing the Doctoral degree
You need this program…
- If you are a management teacher, trainer, researcher, or a consultant;
- If you are a practicing manager seeking to gain advanced knowledge;
- If you are a management graduate wishing to pursue the doctoral degree.
What are the benefits of this program?
- You can enhance your competitive edge in conceptual and analytical skills for advanced career in academic or other analytical professions in management;
- You can develop research capability in management disciplines for improving management knowledge, practice, and profession; and
- You can build a foundation for pursuing the doctoral degree in Management.
- A program that blends advanced management knowledge and research skills
Where can you place yourself after this?
- Research institutions
- Policy analysis and formulation agencies
- Consulting firms
- Development organizations
- International agencies
Eligibility: Nepali and non-Nepali nationals with:
- A Master's degree in management-related disciplines (including business management, general management, development management and other functional, sectorial or policy management fields), master's degree in engineering, physics, mathematics, statistics or economics-related disciplines; or master's degree in selected social sciences disciplines from the universities recognized by Kathmandu University;*
- Minimum CGPA of 3.25 on a scale of 4.0 or 60 percent in the Master degree;
- Strong quantitative background in graduate and undergraduate level; research aptitude and commitment.
* Selected candidates from non-management background may require to take some pre-requisite graduate level courses as specified by the School prior to or concurrent with the prescribed MPhil courses.