MA in Sociology at Dillibazar Kanya Multiple Campus, Kathmandu, Nepal (affiliated with Tribhuvan University) is a two-year full-time postgraduate program designed to provide students with advanced knowledge and understanding of various social phenomena, human behavior, social structures, and institutions. This program aims to develop students' critical and analytical skills, research abilities, and practical expertise in the field of sociology.
Course Overview: The MA in Sociology program covers a wide range of topics, including social research methods, social theory, gender and development, sociology of religion, sociology of environment, social stratification and mobility, social change and development, globalization, and political sociology. The program also includes a research project and a comprehensive examination.
Course Outlines: The MA in Sociology program consists of four semesters, and the course outlines include the following:
- Introduction to Sociology
- Social Research Methods
- Sociological Theory
- Sociology of Nepal
- Gender and Development
- Sociology of Environment
- Social Stratification and Mobility
- Elective 1
- Social Change and Development
- Globalization and Society
- Sociology of Religion
- Elective 2
- Political Sociology
- Contemporary Sociological Issues
- Research Project
- Comprehensive Examination
Objectives: The main objectives of the MA in Sociology program are to:
- Provide students with a deep understanding of the social world and its complexities.
- Develop students' critical and analytical skills to analyze social phenomena and social problems.
- Train students to conduct independent research and contribute to the development of sociology as a discipline.
- Prepare students for careers in academia, research, public administration, international development, and other related fields.
Eligibility: To be eligible for the MA in Sociology program at Dillibazar Kanya Multiple Campus, Kathmandu, Nepal, candidates must have completed a Bachelor's degree in Sociology or a related field from a recognized university with a minimum of 45% marks.
Learning Outcomes: Upon completion of the MA in Sociology program, graduates will be able to:
- Analyze and interpret social phenomena and social problems using sociological theories and concepts.
- Conduct independent research using appropriate research methods and techniques.
- Communicate effectively through oral and written means.
- Demonstrate an understanding of ethical issues in social research.
- Apply sociological knowledge and skills to practical issues in various social settings.
Scope: MA in Sociology graduates can find employment in a wide range of sectors, including academia, research, government, NGOs, international organizations, media, and consulting firms. Graduates can work as researchers, teachers, social workers, consultants, policy analysts, and administrators.
Career Prospects: The career prospects for MA in Sociology graduates are excellent, with a growing demand for experts in social research, policy analysis, and program evaluation. Graduates can pursue a Ph.D. in Sociology or related fields to further advance their careers in academia or research.
Career Options: MA in Sociology graduates can work in a variety of positions, including:
- University and college professors
- Social science researchers
- Social workers
- Policy analysts
- Government administrators
- Program evaluators
- NGO professionals
Why Choose this Course: The MA in Sociology program is an excellent choice for students interested in understanding the complexities of human behavior, social structures, and institutions. The program provides a broad knowledge base in sociology and develops students' critical thinking and research skills. The program is also highly relevant to a variety of career paths, making it an excellent choice for students interested in pursuing a career in academia, research, public administration, international development, or related fields.