Nepal Mountain Academy (NMA) was Established in the year 2002. NMA is located in Thapagaun, Bijulibazar, Kathmandu and a successful and leading academic hub where top-tier students, educators, and researchers from across the country and around the globe come and thrive. The recognition of the Academy has not bloomed overnight, rather it is a huge effort throughout the years that has today resulted in the academy to transform itself into a prestigious educational institution.
The institution integrates a dual model: academic and training phase. In the academic phase, students shall learn the theoretical segment in Kathmandu and the practical segment in the high mountains, Himalayan zones, and other technical aspects in Dudhkunda Municipality, Garma, Solukhumbu.
The academy is a government organization functioning under the Ministry of Culture, Tourism and Civil Aviation, Government of Nepal. The academic courses that are being run are affiliated with the Faculty of Management, Tribhuvan University.
Nepal Mountain Academy envisions to become a university for mountain, mountaineering, and adventure tourism studies that promote coordinates, and conducts academic activities and carries out research from across the disciplines on mountain places, peoples, and practices, and advances both theoretical and experiential learning in academic and mountain environments in future.
The academy seeks for the graduates to be able to be the leading and functional human capital in the field of mountaineering and adventure tourism.
The academy is dedicated specifically:
- Understanding mountains and environments, cultures, and adventure activities in relation to one another; and
- Bringing students, faculty members, and community together through the study of mountains and its allied services.
The specific objective of the Academy are:
- To deliver quality academic services to the students enrolled in the academy
- To encourage research-based learning
- To create a knowledge and network hub of international mountain & adventure experts and academicians
- To explore the academic line of mountaineering and adventure tourism
- To produce skilled and academic manpower to fulfill the demand of the tourism sector
- Master of Adventure Tourism Studies (MATS)
- Bachelor of Mountaineering Studies (BMS)
Nepal Mountain Academy
Thapagaun, Bijulibazar, Kathmandu
Telephone: +977-1-5244312, +977-1-5244888, +977-1-5244277