Nepal Engineering College (nec) was established in 1994 as a not-for-profit social academic institute under the initiative of seven philanthropists. The foundation of nec was laid by a group of visionary Nepalese professionals and academicians who realized the need of an institution serving the technical education needs of the country in areas of engineering and technology for accelerated economic growth, reaching to wider section of Nepalese students and making the quality technical education accessible and affordable to the masses. nec is duly registered as a not-for-profit social institute at the District Administration Office, Bhaktapur.
This pioneering example set by nec led to the establishment of a number of engineering colleges in the country in private sector in the later years. nec is committed to retaining its long-earned reputation of “an institution with concerns for quality education and academic freedom”, again an example for others to follow.
Since its inception, NEC has been constantly engaged in designing, upgrading, and standardizing the academic curricula and offering Bachelor's and Masters's level courses in engineering, technology, and allied disciplines. nec intends to continue with this initiative, offering more innovative and applied courses in established and emerging areas in the days to come.
Initiated with limited physical and instructional resources, nec has now grown to an institution with learning resources comparable to any institution of repute in the country and the region. The physical infrastructure and instructional resources, built-in 210 companies (10.69 ha) of land at the lap of the world cultural heritage site Changunarayan Municipality in Bhaktapur, provide the ambiance of nature and ideal learning environment.
Currently, nec offers Bachelor, Civil for Diploma Holders level courses as well as Masters degree programs. All the Bachelor level courses are underway at the main campus at Changunarayan and Masters level courses at nec - Center for Postgraduate Studies at Prayag Pokhari, Lalitpur. B.E. Civil for Diploma Holders (nec-BDH) course is organized at Satdobato in Lalitpur.
B. E. (Bachelor of Engineering) degree
- Civil Engineering,
- Electronics and Communication Engineering,
- Computer Engineering,
- Electrical and Electronics Engineering,
- Civil and Rural Engineering, and
- Civil Engineering for Diploma Holders leading to B.E. Civil degree
B. Arch. (Bachelor of Architecture) degree
- Bachelor in Architecture
- Construction Management (CM),
- Natural Resources Management (NRM),
- Interdisciplinary Water Resources Management (IWRM) and
- Transportation Engineering and Management (TEAM)
nec is committed to lead the nation in technical education and research in order to produce quality engineers and managers for the benefit of the country and the society. nec intends to provide a conducive environment for teaching-learning process through well documented and transparent academic system targeted to stakeholders’ satisfaction. nec is committed to complying with all the concerned legal and statutory provisions of the state and continually improving the effectiveness of the management quality and performance.
The vision of nec is to evolve as the center of higher learning, excelling in academics, through continued engagements in education, research and outreach as three integrated functions of the college.
- In approaching the stated vision, the mission of nec include:
- Providing the youth with the best opportunities and environment of learning to help them attain high level of academic standard, scientific temper, technical and professional competence and life-skills.
- Train and develop youth as total person, ready to serve the society and people to alleviate their sufferings and improve their quality of life.
- Inculcate the values to appreciate the need for ethical standards in personal, social and public life, to become leaders, to be a voice to influence the society and the nation, and to uphold just social order.
nec has established institutional linkages for academic exchanges, with a number of universities, institutions and organizations in different parts of the world. Exchange of faculty and students, sharing of knowledge, experiences and publications and collaboration in teaching and research have been some of the continued activities initiated and supported under such linkages.
To date the institutional linkages of nec extend to -
- Ball State University, USA
- Ehime University, Japan
- Indian Society for Technical Education (ISTE), India
- Imperial College, London
- South Asian Consortium for Interdisciplinary Water Resources Studies (SaciWATERs), Hyderabad, India
- MVA Asia Ltd. HongKong & NTDRC
- Tarleton State University, Texas, USA